This was the year I got married, made some new friends, got a new job, bought a car, had to get rid of that car, bought a second car, went on a few adventures, went to a few weddings (besides my own), and didn't break any bones this year. Things are good. Everyone is healthy, I'm happy, and I hope you are too.
Here are some of my favorite recipes of the year, the 9 best of 2009.
(in no particular order)
1. Shrimp and feta. In tomato sauce. I love tomato sauce, shrimp, AND feta. Seafood and cheese sound weird, but totally work here.
2. Liver dumplings. These aren't really livery. Yes, they have liver, but they're like matzo balls. But gluten free, and using up that extra liver or two you have from roasting a chicken. The dumplings have a little extra special flavor from the dumplings, and I love them.
3. English muffins. Look at the nooks and crannies! Do I need to say anything else?
4. Quick, delicious bread. This is the bread I always make when I have some fancy cheese, want to make garlic bread, or just want some bread with butter.
5. Chocolate angel food cake with chocolate ganache and strawberries. Need I say more?
6. Butterscotch brownies. These are quick and easy and addicting and don't need any special ingredients. I grew up on these.
7. Chocolate pudding cake. This is bonkers. So good.
8. Lazy daisy cake. Another dessert I grew up on. This was a year about comforting, familiar food. Also, anything with lazy in the name is a dessert for me.
9. Pecan biscotti. I can't handle these, they're so delicious. Buttery, crunchy, nutty, awesome. Also, my mom used to make them when we were kids.